Accept and Continue

Cookies on this site

This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content



The Club was formed in November 1931 at Mytchett Recreation Ground in Hamesmoor Road and was originally known as the Coleford Bowling Club, later changing its name to Mytchett in 1965.

Originally, the Club had the use of a three rink (Cumberland grass) bowling green and shared the recreation ground ticket office with the groundsman. This was a wooden structure 8’ x 4’ which doubled up as a locker and changing room with teas being served outside under a very small lean-to.

The lay-out of the recreation ground was much the same as it is now, comprising two tennis courts, a nine hole putting course (no longer there) and the three rink bowling green, outfield and children’s playground. In 1935, the bowling green was extended to the current full size six rink green.

In 1938, the Council supplied and built an open bowls shelter comprising three walls and a roof and alongside each wall were lockers which were hired to the bowlers. This shelter was also used for teas.

Following the Second World War in 1949, the Bowling Club approached the Council with a view of having the front of the building closed in. As the Council could not find their way to finance this, the Bowling Club offered to pay for it and this was completed in 1950

The next important thing that happened was the changing of the name from Coleford Bowling Club to Mytchett Bowling Club in 1965.

During the 1970s and 1980s the clubhouse continued to be improved for the comfort of the members and in 1996 an extension was added providing a kit room and separate male and female changing rooms.

In 2006 the Mytchett Bowling Club celebrated its 75th anniversary with a number of special matches and in 2021 its 90th anniversary.


The Club has a thriving membership comprising both active men and ladies sections. We pride ourselves on being a friendly Club and welcome visitors and new members regardless of age or standard, including complete beginners.

On Wednesday afternoons from 2pm between the month of May and September coaching is available when qualified coaches will be in attendance for new and existing members. During this session we also hold a friendly Club afternoon game where anybody is welcome to join us, men, women, families, new or experienced bowlers and for the first three sessions there is no charge and the club will provide the equipment (subject to availability).

During the summer season we enjoy a full list of fixtures - both competitive and friendly games which ensures everybody has ample opportunity to play. During the winter months we also have a number of social events which are always well attended.

Mytchett Bowling Club has a registered ‘Child Protection Officer and Vulnerable Adults Officer’.

Mytchett Bowling Club is affiliated to Bowls EnglandSurrey County Bowling Association and Surrey County Women’s Bowling Association. As a Club, we play in the Blackwater Valley (ladies), Aldershot & District (men), Farnham & District  (mixed), Knaphill Thursday Triples (mixed), Surrey Advertiser (ladies) and West Surrey (separate men & ladies) leagues.

If you are interested in knowing more about our Club please do not hesitate to contact Martin tel: 07946 527240  email: